Monday 23 June 2008

The run continues

So poker is still sucking pretty badly. Last night saw my net profits from PLO reduced to almost zero, and today the only game I played was the $10 MSOP event where I ran predictably badly. I wasn't going to play at all, except maybe a $2 game or two, but the chance to play for a $30k prize pool for just a $10 buy-in doesn't come along very often. Sadly, I ran JJ into KK early on an all-unders flop against a guy who had already shown down K5s (raised it UTG obv) and A9o (cold-called a 3-bet pre-flop and shoved the flop with air), so he almost never has a real hand... unless he is in the pot with me of course. Then my short-stack disappeared after I shoved AJ over what looked a standard steal and he turned over JJ. What the fuck can I do?

So poker is highly unenjoyable at the moment... to everyone who says that making the correct play is its own reward, and every time you do that you win money regardless of the hand outcome, I say "Die in a grease fire please". Yes, it all evens itself out, I know. But I play poker primarily because I enjoy it; the fact I am good enough to be a winning player and therefore take it more seriously than most is a happy by-product. But when you take regular beats, run into regular coolers and lose 3/4 of your 50-50s (even more so against opponents who have you covered), then the fun kind of evaporates from it all.

I need a few days off. I just took a month off because bad running was tilting me though, I only hit the tables again at the end of May, it seems a waste. I am truly torn whether to play through or not.

No comments: