Thursday 12 June 2008

Bland intro

Ok, so I finally bowed to the inevitable and started a poker blog. All the cool kids have them (and Rambler has one too), so why not me? Well, probably because I won't have an awful lot of interest to say, but that doesn't stop everyone else so I'm going to ignore that minor inconvenience too.

About my poker life:

I've been playing on and off for about 5 years, but have only really started taking the game semi-seriously in the past year. I have always been a winning player even early on, simply through being naturally nitty and playing with morons who didn't realise I always had the goods and paid me off... but I have only really played WELL for the last 12 months. In fact, in light of recent adjustments I have made then maybe even 12 months is a generous estimation... I'll go into that in more detail sometime soon.

I mostly play low buy-in Hold'em MTTs at the moment... I had a spell from January to April where I played almost exclusively single table SNGs at the $5 level (and a few at $10) and ground my modest bankroll into 4 figures. Then I started to find the format very drab and mechanical, and that feeling, combined with some sustained bad running when I moved up to $10 stakes, led to me taking the rest of April and most of May off from poker. The only time I logged onto Full Tilt was to cash out $700 to help pay for a trip I booked to New Yoik and Boston in September, but the next day I jumped back on the horse with my $250 bankroll and started to play donk-stakes MTTs again ($2 to $5 buy-ins lolz), just for fun. That was 3 weeks ago, and as of now my roll is back up to ~$550, thanks to a more aggressive approach I have been taking and some nice run of the cards.

I've also dabbled with Omaha and HOSE/HORSE MTTs for the first time in the past few weeks, with some success; I attribute this to beginner's luck and the inability of most of the other players to tell a good hand from junk. I also played an Omaha Hi cash table for the first time last night (.10/.25 PL) on the theory that the play would be very soft. I finished up just under a buy-in, which was nice... I look forward to playing some more of that. I always want to work on my cash game play, because I know that is where the consistent money is to be made (ok, grinding at SNGs works consistently too, but booooo YAWNaments), but I often seem to struggle to make good decisions on the turn and river and can feel myself leaking chips more than I ought to; also I have a tough time fighting against my natural nittish-ness, a problem that I don't have in MTTs due to the increasing blinds. But I will work on that.

If you read this far, welcome. If you didn't, I don't blame you, and welcome.

2 comments:

Ken C said...

lol at the @ rambler comment. welcome to the bloggiverse. Put some links up!

Dan said...

You mean links to everyone else's blogs? That is on my to-do list :)