Sunday 13 July 2008

My Pokerstars debut

It was a bit of a washout actually. I played the $10k guarantee with a $5 buy-in, field of ~4400, and I worked out all the options menus and changed the table skin to some sleek new black background they are Beta testing so it looks a lot better than the mustard shit they set as default... and then I sat card-dead for an hour, until I picked up AQ just before the break with a 25BB stack, and opted to 3-bet shove over a 4BB opening raise. He showed 10-10 and predictably I lost the race. Sound familiar? It actually doesn't bother me though, whereas if it had happened on Full Tilt I would have been cursing the heavens. It's an interesting one, psychologically. I think of it as being like rain; when I am at home, doing my boring everyday things, rain is a nuisance and can really piss me off (it's been fucking WET with capital letters in Manchester lately)... but when I'm on holiday somewhere else and it rains, it just feels vaguely comical. I remember getting caught in a crazy tropical storm in Havana once, but everyone in my tourist group found it funny for the novelty. I guess we are more carefree when we are vacationing, or something. And I kind of feel like I am vacationing on Pokerstars at the moment, although I plan on playing there as long as it suits me, so I guess nothing will bother me for the short term no matter how bad I run.

I plan on playing one of the "First Depositor" freerolls later on, they gave me a couple of entries into those when I deposited, along with a $50 bonus I probably won't play enough to clear lolz.

Standard of play so far is questionable at best... the tourny I played began with 150BB effective stacks, which was a very pleasant surprise to me (although they make up for it by jumping the blinds by greater amounts when they rise it), but that is wasted on some people as there were two ninnies at my table who open-shoved for 150BBs twice each. Just cut a hole in the bottom of your wallet already guys, jayzus. Wish I could have been dealt some cards, because these guys were trying to give it away. I'm sure there are a lot of players that bad though... I've heard people say Stars players are worse than Full Tilt ones, which would be a nice bonus. I also look forward to checking out the $4.40 180-man SNGs that people on Cardplayer have said are extremely soft and full of brain-dead people on day release from their hospital beds.

No comments: